As one of the major pop culture gatherings in America, New York Comic Con (NYCC) is a great place for fans to connect, companies to promote their franchises and media to be consumed. But it is also a good place for creators of all levels to connect, learn and network.
There are going to be hundreds of panels at this year’s NYCC. I’ve tried to spotlight five per day that will offer you the advice, ideas and tips that can enhance your professional career.
Thursday, October 6th
1) Writers Unite: Writing and Pitching Comic Stories with Charles Soule: 11:00 am in Room 1A18
2) From Panel to Publisher: An In-Depth Look at Transactional Law for Comic Book Creators with Thomas Crowell, Esq. 12:15 pm in Room 1A02
3) Using Tumblr to Sell Your Idea Panel: 5:30 PM in Room 1A24
4) From Press to Social Media: Marketing Your Comic Book with Michael Molcher and Alex Segura 6:30 pm in Room 1B03
Friday, October 7th
5) How to Succeed in Self-Publishing Panel 11:00 am in Room 1A02
6) Keeping Control of Your Comic Panel 11:15 am in Room 1A05
7) Creator Connection: Facilitated Professional Networking Panel 2:30 pm in Room 1A18
8) Breaking Into Comics with Andy Schmidt 7:45 pm in room 1B03
Saturday, October 8th
9) Breaking In: How They Did It and How You Can Do It: 1:45 pm in Room 1A05
Sunday, October 9th
10) From the Printed Page to the Silver Screen: Licensing Comics for Film and Television with Thomas Crowell 12:15 pm in Room 1A05
While I won’t be on any panels this year, I do plan to be in Artist’s Alley after 4:00 pm on Thursday October, 6th. If you’d like to meet me for a free consultation or just to say hello, please contact me and we can set something up.
It’s easy to be overwhelmed at an event like NYCC. I hope this list helps you find the information you need to understand the legal and business aspects of comics and make the most of your creativity.
Success in the comics industry requires an understanding of the business, creative, and legal aspects of the medium.
Sign up for The Professional Comics Creator to get monthly e-mail news, tips and advice on how to get the most from your characters and stories
PLEASE NOTE: THIS BLOG POST IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR LEGAL ADVICE. IF YOU HAVE A LICENSEING OR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY ISSUE, DISCUSS IT WITH YOUR LEGAL ADVISOR OR CONTACT C3 AT firstname.lastname@example.org FOR A FREE CONSULTATION.