If you work in comics (or you just enjoy comic culture) then events like New York Comic Con one of the high points of the year. It’s a place where professionals get a chance to network, connect with their fans, sell their work, be inspired, geek out and spend too much money on comics, toys, t-shirts and other random paraphernalia.
Cons are also a good source of information when it comes to managing and understanding your career. If you take advantage of the professional panels at NYCC, you have a chance to learn from people who can help you avoid mistakes and have more success.
This is a list of the most interesting panels I've seen on the schedule at this point. There are a lot more than last year, which proves the growing popularity of professional panels at the Con. I can't vouch for the speakers or the quality of the presentations, but you might learn something at these panels to help your career and your ideas. My own willingness to attend these meetings and not stand on line to play FarCry 4 has to count for some type of endorsement.
Thursday October 9th
- 1:15 pm: Selling Your Comics to Hollywood
- 6:00 pm: Comixology Submit: The Future of Self-Publishing
- 7:15 pm: How to Succeed in Self-Publishing
Friday, October 10th
- 11:15 am: Landing a Publisher and Negotiating Publishing Deals
- 7:00 pm Make Comics Like a Pro: Breaking into the Industry
Saturday, October 11th
- 4:15 pm: Copyrights, Contracts and Comic Book Creators
- 7:15 pm : Collaborating in Comics
Sunday, October 12th
- 1:15 pm: Successfully Crowdfund Your Comic
- 5:00 pm: Protecting Your Ideas
I plan to write an essay about what Iearn at Comic Con, but nothing beats being there yourself if you can. If any of you are planning on attending NYCC and you'd like a meeting to discuss the rights of your book, please send an email and we can set something up. Also, I plan to be in Artist Alley on Thursday afternoon. If any of you have a booth, please let me know the number so I can try to stop by.
Otherwise, you can probably find me at the FarCry booth.